Tangy Chicken & Pineapple Rice
August 17, 2012 § Leave a comment
Here I present to you a healthy recipe for dinner that I whipped up last night. My boyfriend said it reminded him of a stir fry dish that his mom makes, and the pineapple + salsa does give it a sweet & sour taste. It’s very filling, high in Vitamin C, and I definitely recommend using brown rice rather than white rice for added nutritional benefits.
I had planned on making this dish using regular salsa but ended up grabbing Newman’s Medium Pineapple salsa instead, which turned out to add a delicious flavor. However, I think this dish could still work if you use regular salsa instead, and if anyone tries it let me know how it works out for you!
1 chicken breast, diced
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
1 cup minute brown rice (uncooked)
1/2 sweet red bell pepper, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1 8oz can diced pineapple in pineapple juice
1/2-3/4 cup Newman’s Medium Pineapple Salsa
1 cup water
1/4 tsp chili powder
1. Warm 2 tsp of canola oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat, add chicken breast and cook until diced pieces are almost no longer pink.
2. Add onion and red pepper, cook 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
3. Add rice, water, pineapple (with juice) and one heaping spoonful of the salsa. Stir well.
4. Bring contents of pan to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes
5. Add remaining salsa and chili powder, stir well and cover and simmer 3 more minutes
6. Remove lid, if water has not all been absorbed increase heat to medium and stir until liquid is mostly absorbed.
(makes 4 servings, just over 1 cup each)
Total Fat: 4.3 g
Saturated: 0.4 g
Polyunsaturated: 0.7 g
Monounsaturated: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 22.5 mg
Sodium: 242.4 mg
Potassium: 230.7 mg
Total Carbs: 32 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Sugars: 12.8 g
Protein: 12 g
Vitamin A: 41%
Vitamin C: 61.1%